Our NEW LOCATION is now OPEN at 107-1411 Cook Street, Victoria BC, V8V 0E8. We now have a full range optical for all your eyeglass needs. We cant wait to show you!

Inner Harbour Optometry logo white

I Have Something In My Eye – Get It Out!

person squinting

“I have something in my eye and I can’t get it out!” We’ve all been there. You find yourself experiencing eye discomfort because there is something lodged within your eye.


What should you do if you have something in your eye?


First, do NOT rub your eye.

Instinctually you may want to rub your eye to try and remove the foreign object; however, this can scratch the very sensitive cornea. Causing further eye irritation and pain. Instead, try the following tips:

  • Blinking quickly
  • Cleaning the eye with saline drops
  • Having someone examine the irritated eye to see if the object can easily be dislodged


Do you need to see an optometrist?

If the above steps do not rid the eye of the foreign particle, then it’s time to see an optometrist.

Your optometrist has the tools and training to relieve your eye. The affected eye will be first examined and then likely numbed, so when the item is removed, you do not feel any further discomfort. If your cornea appears to show signs of scratches, you may be advised to wear an eye patch to help aid in healing the cornea.

If you are unsure as to whether you need to seek medical help, you can always give us a call, and we will be happy to advise you of the next necessary steps!